Salaman / Henry
Menu Contact
Call Today for a FREE Consultation

Coming to the U.S. on a fiancé visa

It’s said that love is what makes the world go around. Whether that’s true or not, there is no doubt that for many individuals it is a huge part of their happiness. Because of this it is not surprising that when a citizen of the United States falls in love with someone from another country, they may want to get married. If they want to live together in the U.S., the individual from the other country will have to secure a visa. This is true regardless of whether the couple seeking to marry is opposite or same-sex.

In either situation, if someone from another country is moving to the U.S. to live and get married, that individual will need to secure a K-1 visa. Also known as a fiancé visa, there are multiple requirements that must be met before a K-1 visa will be granted.

First, in most situations the couple seeking to get married is required to have actually met in person. Next, if the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services approves the K-1 petition, an interview at a U.S. consulate abroad will be conducted. Because a big concern is financial support for the foreign national once he or she is in the U.S., his or her fiancé will need to sign an affidavit indicating that he or she will be able to support his or her spouse to be. In cases where that is not possible, a close friend or relative may provide a supporting affidavit.

As is the case with virtually all immigration matters, securing a K-1 visa is complex. To make sure the process goes as smoothly as possible, most opt to work with an immigration attorney.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information